The standard M.S. degree in Food Science involves the completion of a total 30 graduate course credits.
- Category 1: At least 6 credits of Food Science courses at the 600- or 700- level are required excluding Thesis, Independent Study or Journal Club.
- Category 2: One credit of seminar (FS791A ) is required.
- Category 3: Minimum 6 to a maximum of 10 thesis credits.
Category 1: Two 700-level Food Science courses are offered each semester. Each is offered every two years.
Students with a background in Food Science need not repeat following courses but may enroll in other 500-level or above courses.
- Food Chemistry (FS 541 and 542)
- Food Microbiology (FS 567) or Food Quality (FS590B)
- Food Processing (FS 561)
- Food Analysis (FS 581)*
* An analytical chemistry course in the Department of Chemistry at the 400-level or greater may be used to satisfy this requirement
One course (3 or 4 credits, 400- level or above) may be from courses outside the Department.
Graduate students can take Teaching Experience (FS796T), an additional seminar with SAT (satisfactory grade, no presentation), or 1 credit journal club toward their degree requirements, either letter grade or SAT.
Student should complete a thesis defense at the completion of research project. The advisor may require proposal of thesis. Format of proposal and thesis should be discussed with the advisor.
Continuous enrollment: Students who completed all course and thesis requirements should register for Continuous Enrollment (GRADSCH999) and pay the Program Fee.
Students with continuous enrollment and students who take less than 9 credits should request an override for full-time status by e-mailing Stacy (email@example.com). This needs to be done each semester you enrolled for both US and non-US students. https://www.umass.edu/graduate/policies/registration
- Maximum 6 Graduate credits can be transferred from a BS degree or another MS degree, if they were not required for the respective degree. To transfer, you will need to submit a correct form to the Graduate School. Appropriate forms can be found at https://www.umass.edu/graduate/policies/forms-documents
- For students completing 5 year BS/MS program (Accelerated Masters), additional 6 credits can be transferred from the BS degree (double counted). Please submit a form for ‘Transfer credits, Accelerated Masters’
- For students transferring unused credits from the previous MS program from another institution, please submit a form for ‘Transfer credits, External’
- For more information, please check https://www.umass.edu/graduate/form/masters-degree-checklist-requirements-graduate