- Spray Dryer with Agglomeration capabilities: This GEA system allows for spray drying and agglomeration to produce powders from food and bioactive delivery systems.
- Bench-Top Spray Dryer: Capable of spray drying small sample sizes.
- Microthermics UHT/HTST Pasteurization Unit: Capable of doing both High Temperature Short Time and Ultra-High Temperature pasteurization and aseptic filling.
- Freeze Drying System: A small scale lyophilization system for food grade components.
- Supercritical Fluid System: A carbon dioxide method for the clean isolation of bioactive compounds from biological materials.
- Reverse Osmosis Pilot Plant Ultrafiltration Unit: A technique for the removal of water and small molecular weight compounds from aqueous systems.
- Agitating retort: A pilot scale retort for sterilization of flexible pouches.
- Contherm Heat Exchanger for heating and cooling liquid and high viscosity foods.
- Cheese Vat
- Cabinet Dryer
- Smoke House
- Ice cream maker
- High Speed Mixers
Facilities are available to internal and external researchers on a fee-for-service basis.
More details can be obtained at UMass Amherst IALS website- Nutriceutical Formulation.
David Prodanas, Manager